Vegan Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely diced onion
- Pinch sea salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon and more to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms, about 4 ounces
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Simple and Quick Tomato Sauce, to serve, recipe follows
- Spaghetti, to serve
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Raise the heat to high and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have given off their juices and are lightly caramelized, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to the work bowl of a food processor. Add the tofu, egg and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pulse to combine. Add the bread crumbs and parsley and pulse to combine again. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread the flour on a plate. Moisten your hands with water and form the tofu mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. Lightly coat the balls in flour and put them onto a baking sheet or large plate.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the balls and cook them until browned all over, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan and simmer until the balls are firm and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite pasta.