Vegan Pine nut Sausage
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ½ a red onion
- 1 red chilli
- 75g (2½ oz) sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1¼ cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 250g (½ lb.) gluten flour (wheat gluten)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 x pieces of cheesecloth 30×30 cm each
- 8 x pieces of kitchen twine
for the cooking broth
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- By hand or in a food processor finely dice/mince the toasted pine nuts, red onion, chili and sundried tomatoes.
- Whisk the stock with the olive oil and tomato paste until smooth.
- Combine the gluten flour with the dried thyme, paprika and processed pine nut/sun dried tomato mixture in a large bowl. Slowly add the stock mixture to the dry mixture, combine until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions, roll out each portion to form a sausage, place each sausage onto a piece of cheesecloth, roll tightly and tie off each end securely with pieces of twine.
- Bring the stock, garlic and bay leaves to boil in a deep-sided pan, add the sausages, side-by-side and turn down the heat, allow to gently simmer for 45-50 minutes until the sausages are firm to the touch.
- Once the sausages are cooked remove from the pan and allow to cool before carefully removing the cheesecloth.
- Sausages can then be fried in a pan until golden and added to your favorite recipes, like pasta, stews or as below.
Tagged as: Pinenut Sausage Vegan
Posted on April 28, 2012 at 3:02PM with 19 notes
collarbones-and-collaredshirts likes this